We are introduced, at an early age, to the sweet wondernous of a cookie. From teething cookies to soothe the swollen aching gums of incoming incisors, onto animal crackers purchased in rectangular-shaped boxes bearing a string handle for easy toting by little fingers. Deciding which part of the animal should be eaten first-the trunk of the elephant or the tail of a lion-depended on how hungry one was. Savor each and every one or simply gobble them down as fast as possible.

My next cookie memory would be the ever famous, possibly all-time favorite, the chocolate chip cookie. There is nothing better than to bite into a round circle of baked dough sprinkled with gooey melt-in-your-mouth chocolate. A chocolate chip cookie can dry tears, heal broken hearts, mend scraped knees and elbows and solve sibling arguments. Most of the problems in the world could likely be solved by a properly baked, right out of the oven, chocolate chip cookie. The power of a cookie is underestimated.

I will attempt in the next 365 days to prepare and comment on a year’s worth of different cookies-one for each day. My goal is to share with others my extreme love of cookies-baking them and especially eating them! Feel free to send me your favorite recipe, your earliest cookie memories, or how cookies may have influenced your life. Cookies Rule!


Sunday, September 12, 2010

Cookie Recipe #253 - Merrie Mallow Fudgies



This recipe comes from a cookbook my Mom gave me and was published in 1959 (the year I was born). The pictures are in black and white and the women portrayed are definitely from the 50's (hairstyles, clothing, etc). It is the llth Grand National Bake-Off Cookbook and the winner, Mrs. Eunice Surles of Lake Charles, LA, won $25,000.

Even though this isn't my typical I & I (Ingredients and Instructions)format, I'm going to print it as it is presented in the cookbook:

Cut...15 (large)marshmallows in quarters: freeze while preparing dough. Sift together...3 cups all-purpose flour, 2/3 cup cocoa, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1 teaspoon salt. Set aside. Add...1 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar gradually to 1 cup shortening, creaming well.

Blend in...2 unbeaten eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat well. Stir in...the dry ingredients; mix thoroughly. Shape...a rounded teaspoonful of dough around each marshmallow quarter, sealing well. Roll in granulated sugar. Place on greased cookie sheets. Bake...at 400 degrees for 5-7 minutes, just until cookies crack. (This is important; if left in too long the marshmallow melts too much and spreads all over the pan). Cool 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

This recipe was presented by the Senior Winner, Mrs. Harold Foster, Vancouver, WA.

Cookies Rule!!!

2 comments:

  1. This looks like the recipe I'm missing. Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the same book my mom had and the recipe was lost! I love that you posted this so now I have the original! 💜❤️🦋

    ReplyDelete